Why work at Blaney McMurtry LLP?
Blaney McMurtry LLP is a multi-service 120+ lawyer firm, based in the heart of downtown Toronto. For more than sixty-five years, we have helped clients overcome challenges and seize opportunities through our continuing commitment to achieving results and building relationships. We seek exceptional individuals who take pride in their work and know the importance of excellent client service.
Our motto is “Expect the Best” and that goes both ways. At Blaney’s, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace that respects and supports all of our staff. We offer a competitive salary based on experience and paid vacation. Your well-being is very important to us and this is why we offer an excellent benefit package which includes health, dental, as well as an Employee Assistance Program. If you would like to gain new skills, we have abundant training and professional development opportunities to help to achieve your personal and professional goals.
We are currently recruiting for a Commercial Litigation Law Clerk with the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities. Knowledge of litigation support software applications, the Rules of Civil Procedure and the ability to compile Motion Records, Affidavits of Documents, Appeal Books and Bills of Cost are required. The ideal candidate for this position has a strong work ethic, exceptional problem-solving skills and is comfortable working within a team. Blaney McMurtry LLP is passionate about what we do and we are looking for someone who shares our passion to join our team.
What you will be doing:
- Production of affidavits of documents and document management.
- Simple motions.
- Litigation support software support.
- Determining appropriate document descriptions and coding documents for factual content in database.
- Performing first level document review.
- Database management, including searching and organization of data in electronic format.
- Reviewing transcripts and preparing lists of undertakings and refusals.
- Preparing and following up with opposing counsel regarding requests for productions and undertakings.
- Summarizing discovery notes, transcripts, economic loss and other reports.
- Compiling briefs as required, including preparing and maintaining exhibits and witness binders.
- Entering dockets on a timely basis following prescribed firm and departmental procedures.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Proficiency in IPRO Eclipse (or other comparable e-discovery litigation support software).
- Post-secondary accreditation for legal assistant or law clerk, or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with the Sedona principles.
- Excellent computer skills including experience with MS Word and Excel.
Interested applicants should apply here. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you require any accommodation in the application process, please contact us. Blaney McMurtry is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your interest.