Roderick Winsor, head of our Aviation Group and other members of the Group have acted in litigation arising out of most major international aviation disasters involving Canadians for the past 40 years. We have been fully successful in all these cases focusing on what is in the best interests of families. We work hard to achieve early settlements but have litigated successfully where defendants have resisted.
Not only do we understand the varied and specialized laws that apply to such claims, we understand the tactical and other considerations necessary to achieve the best possible results.
We litigate class actions and understand when they are, or are not desirable for these aviation claims.
In response to the recent Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 tragedy, we have compiled a list of questions and answers for the families of the victims of Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 that can be found here: Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 752: What Families Need to Know.
EXAMPLES OF INTERNATIONAL AIRLINE EXPERIENCE
- Shooting down of Korean Air Lines 007 by the Soviet Union - acting for the families of all the Canadian victims
- Air India Flight 182 bombing - appointed by the Ontario Supreme Court as one of four lawyers to act on behalf of all families’ lawyers with respect to liability
- Air Canada 797 Cincinnati fire - acted for the largest number of claimants including families and survivors
- Ethiopian Airlines Hijacking
- Munich Hijacking
- EgyptAIr Flight 804 crash following fire (bomb alleged but not proven)
REPRESENTATIVE AVIATION LITIGATION PARTIES
- Air Canada
- Air Transat
- Ethiopian Airlines
- Hawker Beechcraft
- Teledyne Continental
- Rolls Royce
OTHER SERVICES WE PROVIDE RELATED TO AVIATION INCLUDE:
- act for passengers, crew, pilots, owners and instructors in a wide variety of commercial and private aircraft litigation
- finance and leasing
- product liability and carriage claims
- accident litigation
- insurance coverage and defence
- contract disputes
- environmental regulation and litigation including cases arising from the shipment, transportation, storage and disposal of hazardous materials
- advising on business transactions and structures
- domestic and international arbitrations
- negotiation and preparation of commercial agreements and debt restructuring
- immigration and negotiation of employment and agency agreements